Behold: the 100 calorie ham and cheddar FRITTUFFIN!
I’ve been on the hunt for savory snacks/breakfast items that are whole foods and low in calories. And aren’t carb-based. And are also gluten-free.
I know. I don’t want to be me either.
Something eggy seemed to fit the bill and I’ve always ooh’d and awwwwwww’d at these adorable, widdle mini frittatas. They’re super easy to make. The only difficult part is deciding what to put in them!
Wandering the aisles of Trader Joe’s, I found myself completely and totally hungertated.
Hungertated: A condition in which the afflicted is so hungry, their decision-making abilities are severely impaired.
It was lunchtime and I just wanted to get the heck out of there. I grabbed some cheddar cheese and ham, figuring I couldn’t go wrong with that classic breakfast combo. Here are some other combinations I pondered:
* Bacon, cheddar
* Smoked salmon, goat cheese, green onions
* Sun dried tomatos, feta, red onion, olive
* Prosciutto, shallots, fontina
* Tomato, mozzarella, basil
These were so simple to make, I imagine I’ll have a rotation of the above combinations. Here are the deets:
Ham and Cheese Frittuffins
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese ya like)
2 slices of ham, cubed (or whatever meat ya like)
Salt and Pepper
* Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
* Grease 8 cups of a standard 12 cup muffin tin.
* Divide cheese and ham amongst the 8 muffin cups.
* Whisk eggs in a large bowl, adding salt and pepper.
* Pour egg mixture into each cup, filling only 3/4 of the way up.
* Bake for 20-25 minutes, until tops are brown and egg doesn’t jiggle.
* Enjoy fluffy noms.
As you can see, this is not a precise recipe. Basically fill the cups with yummy stuff and pour some egg over the top. Maybe put some more stuff on the top if ya like. Also make sure you have tupperware handy because these babies make a tasty cold snack!